Skip to contentSkip to main navigation

The University of Toronto Art Collection

J.M.W. Turner, Pembroke Castle: Clearing up of a Thunderstorm, 1806.Watecolour gum arabic, body colour, scratching out, 67.3 x 101.1 x 0 cm. Gift of Mrs Augustine FitzGerald in 1932 in memory of her husband Augustine Fitzgerald and especially her husband’s father, Mr. William FitzGerald.

The University of Toronto Art Collection

The University of Toronto Collection comprises nearly 5000 works of art, of which approximately 1,100 pieces are installed across the St. George campus at any given time through the Art on Campus program. Some works have traditionally resided in their faculties or departments, such as portraits of former deans, while others have been installed to enhance the working and teaching environment of the campus. The collection is eclectic and wide-ranging, from works of art from East Asia, installed in the Cheng Yu Tung East Asian Library, to examples of contemporary Inuit art placed throughout the Rotman School of Management. The collection continues to be built by donations of art, with particular, though not exclusive emphasis on Canadian and international art of the late 20th and early 21st centuries.